Tuesday, December 11, 2012

"I can't draw."

I have heard many students in my fieldwork say "I can't draw!" I usually respond with a number of responses.. "you might surprise yourself.. rome wasn't built in a day.. don't compare yourself to anyone except for yourself!" Here is a piece of art history I found that is truly inspirational.
Henri Matisse was born on December 31, 1869 in France. He became a famous artist by the year 1900. By the age of 78, he became a cripple and had to remain in a wheel chair. He could barely move his fingers due to arthritis. That didn't stop him. As you see in the picture, Matisse began to cut out shapes from colored construction paper and had others glue them down for him to make a collage. He did this all from his wheelchair. Soon he became so lame that he was stuck in a bed. That didn't stop him either. When he painted one of his last paintings, he was rolled on his bed in the church.

"I consider it my best piece of work. I hope that the future will justify this opinion by a growing interest," Matisse said before he died in 1954 at the age of 84. Even though he was old and crippled, he decided that nothing was going to stop him. Will anything stop you?

No comments:

Post a Comment